Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fever Dreams

I spent the last week in bed. Well, a good deal of it was on couch, but mainly it was in bed. My head was too hurty to read. Or maybe I just didn't have the right book to read. Too bad I found that Suzanne Brockmann at the library yesterday instead of the week before.

Anyway, I watched a LOT of TV. I mean, a lot. I love me my TV anyway. I love stories and there are always stories on TV. Good stories. Bad stories. Stupid stories. Funny stories. I'd turn on the television set and float along on the ebb and flow of turning points and character development and banter. At one point, I think I watched three NCIS reruns in a row, but I only know that because of how much time passed. For all I knew and could make sense of at the time, it could have been one episode. Somewhere in there, the good guys caught the bad guys and I was soothed.

So this post is in praise of story. I love it. I love the rhythm of it. I love thinking about it. I love playing with it. I love creating it.

Yay, story!

6 comments:

Molly O'Keefe said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better - sasly I think the sickness has made it to my house. I look forward to some couch time.

So often I think of what I do as selfish. I get paid for this - it's nuts! But then I remember how much I love a good story (Louisa Edwards - Can't Take The HEat - just finished it. Just loved it,) and how good reading and watching stories unfold makes me feel and I don't feel so selfish anymore. Story is comfort food for the mind (NCIS especially)!

Eileen said...

I'm so sorry! That flu was nasty nasty nasty. I still don't feel quite right.

Comfort food for the mind is exactly right. I find it so nourishing! I really don't understand people who don't read. It would leave such a hole in my life.

Anonymous said...

NCIS, never seen an episode, but am open to any TV at this current, infant holding stage of my life..

Love TV as well, right now, am really into Top Chef. Perfect at three in the morning and surprisingly tense at times..

Eileen said...

Sinead, you might be too young for NCIS. :-)

I'm not a big reality show watcher, but my youngest loves all the competitive cooking shows. We find it hysterical since the child doesn't eat. He's 15, over 5'11" and I think about 130lbs. He makes Callista Flockhart look beefy.

Maureen McGowan said...

I've never seen NCIS, either. But I saw that the new one has Linda Hunt. Love her. Ever since I saw her play a man (believably) in The Year of Living Dangerously (great movie from the 80's with Mel Gibson and Sigourney Weaver. I think. Must imdb that.) Did I just make a verb out of imdb.com?

Okay, imdb has confirmed the cast in my head. And Linda Hunt won an oscar for it.

Maureen McGowan said...

PS. to Sinead.

Isn't Top Chef great! I can't believe I didn't discover that show in the earlier seasons.

I like the reality shows with talented professionals (Top Chef, Project Runway, SYTYCD, even that supermodel show) over amateur hour shows...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...