Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Researching and loving it

I am not a fan of research. It's not that I really dislike it, it's just that I suck at it. I tend to get bored reading non-fiction. The pace just doesn't move fast enough to keep me interested. There are some exceptions to that and honestly I'm getting better at reading non-fiction, but it's generally not my thing. Plus I don't seem to absorb it right. Details and connections between one thing and another escape me.

Right now, however, I am having a blast. I started reading blogs by emergency room nurses. I got the idea from my friend Spring who had been reading blogs by police officers (also fascinating, by the way).

I've been reading blogs for awhile (hello, I help write one, right?), but most of the blogs I visit are by other writers talking about writing stuff. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but it's a wonderful glimpse into how other people think and speak and feel. Plus, how can you not love a blog whose title is "You Can't Fix Stupid." I'm like an addict. I keep clicking and clicking and giggling and getting weepy.

5 comments:

Karen W said...

It's not just me! Yay! I am addicted to doctor and vet blogs. My favorite (you have to check it out) is Dr. Grumpy.

He's here:
http://drgrumpyinthehouse.blogspot.com/

Hilarious! I bookmarked your nurse blog too.

Molly O'Keefe said...

I'm with you too - I would order tons and tons of books about something I needed just a little information about and I couldn't weed through the non-fiction to get to what I needed. But blogs lend you the vernacular and authentic details and they also give you a chance to ask a specific question. I used a bunch for a calving scene in my latest WIP -

I'm going to find the one I used and post it - great blog, Eileen. We can become our own blog library...

Eileen said...

Ooh! I saw a reference to Dr. Grumpy yesterday. I'll go check him out!

Molly, finally a career I might be able to handle! Blog librarian!

Anonymous said...

Great, great suggestions. I had never thought to consider blogs as great resources until now.
We have a critique partner who is a walking encyclopedia of all things regency and British and she does a really great and informative blog called Regency Rambles for the historical writers.

Maureen McGowan said...

What an awesome idea for research.

I do what Molly does. I have an embarrassing pile of books I've bought thinking I'd immerse myself in whatever it was the character did or was interested in... Only to pull one or two tiny details I could've got in the bookstore or better at a library.

But now I have books on massage and the healing power of crystals and numerology and tarot card reading and Japanese sword fighting and lots of things like that...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...