Friday, October 01, 2010

My threesome is just not working

Before I start to write a book, I plan it out. Not intensively, but generally I know the basic direction, the ending, the main turning points and the relationships involved.
And inevitably, a lot of it changes during the writing, but having a dotted line to follow gives me confidence when I'm writing a rough draft.
In the current WIP, I'd planned a lovely little love triangle. Two boys and the girl torn between them, both representing differet facets of what she wants from the rest of her life.
And I cannot seem to make it work. Perhaps it's my background writing romance, or that the other elements of the book are so all encompassing, but this part is falling terribly, terribly flat.
I need the two boys, they each serve a purpose, but the idea that both love this girl and will fight for her, while battling my evil monsters, well, it's just not ringing true.
So I'm removing one of them from the ring. Now she only has one love interest.
I think it's the right move right now, but I'll really only know when I've finished the rough draft.
It's another example of no matter how much I plot a book, it always changes in the execution.

And for anyone out there writing, or thinking about writing, a YA, watch the Vampire Diaries, if for nothing but the pacing and plotting. And perhaps Ian Somerhalder, who's line readings are magic.

3 comments:

Molly O'Keefe said...

If I had a nickle for everytime I've said that...

Honestly, I give that title the best title award.

I just finished your first third Sinead and I want to say this publically - it's amazing. Love triangle or not - I'm fascinated, freaked out, totally invested...best stuff of yours to date. I think you've asked the question before but how dark is too dark or how gross is too gross for YA - and I don't think you've begun to hit the depths yet. I want more gross.

I've never loved a love triangle - they stress me out as a reader. I think Mockingjay made it work - SPOILER - because one of the love interests so so so blew it. But she created a world and a character wherein his blowing it had some nobility to it and it wasn't just bad - though it was...that made no sense. Anyway - love triangles - tough to do.

Maureen McGowan said...

LOL, Molly

I'll bet we get a lot of hits based on that title. :)

Sinead, trust your gut. I love a good love triangle, but I think the (threesome) is starting to get cliche in YA in any case. I think it may be one (of many) reasons I'm having issues with my current WIP, too.

Anonymous said...

The romance balance is so difficult in adventure/horror YA, and it's one of the things that made The Hunger Games so good.
When someone is fighting for their lives, are they really thinking about kissing a boy?

It's the balance, as in everything that is so tough.

And sorry about the spelling and grammar... ooops.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...