Monday, July 11, 2011

Eileen's Summer TV Round-Up

Ah, summertime. A time to soak up sunshine poolside and drink beer by the barbecue. It used to be a time to wander lost through the land of TV reruns, but no more! Over here at the Rendahl Ranch, we look forward to summer.

Tops on our lists are definitely a whole slew of shows from the USA Network. We love In Plain Sight, Burn Notice, White Collar and Covert Affairs. They're fun and quirky and sexy and fast-paced. There's banter. We love banter. They've added a couple of new shows this season, Suits and Necessary Roughness. They're . . . okay. Maybe USA is becoming a victim of their own success. Maybe I only have attention for so many tough and accomplished, yet vulnerable and growing, smart heros/heroines.

We totally grooved on last fall's Walking Dead and right now we're getting our post-Apocalyptic fix with Falling Skies. It's not perfect, but I like the way they started the series (the world is already decimated and we join the resistance fighers) and the way they're building the characters (is Noah Wylie ever anything but earnest and adorable?). It reminds me a little of Battlestar Gallactica and all the decisions that had to be made about what kind of society they were going to be with the limited resources they have to fight and build.

Combat Hospital is basically Grey's Anatomy meets M*A*S*H*. I've only seen the pilot episode. It's not perfect either, but I kind of liked it. Now let's see if I can get the rest of my family on board . . .

Which brings us to Wilfred, which I originally described to my sweetheart as the show with Frodo and the dude in the dog suit. It's pretty clear that the main character (Elijah Wood) has had a major psychotic break and now sees his neighbor's dog as a guy in a dog suit who teaches Elijah life lessons. Some of these lessons involve taking a dump in his neighbor's boot. It's possible that the only happy ending to the story would be that someone finally realizes that Elijah's gone off the deep end and gets his committed and put on heavy-duty psychotropic drugs. My nineteen-year-old is convinced that Elijah will learn the life lessons he needs to heal himself from Wilfred. I'm just hoping that our neighbors take their shoes in at night.

So what are you watching?

6 comments:

Stephanie Doyle said...

Not much... I'm going to try at some of these shows.

Right now just Tru Blood - which I'm not crazy about because there are too many storylines. (This could be a direct reflection on needing more Eric) and baseball.

I did want to check out that Noah Wylie show though.

Maureen McGowan said...

Oh! I subscribed to a new premium channel for the express purpose of seeing Falling Skies, then forgot to DVR it... I'm sure it's on demand. Excited about that one. I've seen the ads for Combat Hospital and the only reason it interested me is that I usually like Elias Koteas...

I've mostly been watching SYTYCD and SYTYCDC. Why CTV decided to have the Canadian show overlap with the US one this year is beyond me. Crazy that they seem to be flying some of the choreographers/judges back and forth between LA and Toronto to do both in one week.

And the finale of FNL. OMG. Best 90 minutes of TV ever. Beautiful. So satisfying. So many little threads and bookends from the very first episode. "Texas Forever". The song "Devil Town" playing (although that wasn't in the very last episode). Perfection. Those TV writers should be knighted. Or something. Criminal that more people haven't seen that show.

Eileen said...

Did you and Sinead finally watch it so Molly would have someone to talk to about it?

Maureen McGowan said...

Much to Molly's chagrin, neither of us watched it in time for the DWT on Friday night. But we've both seen it now. I <3 that show. Heartbroken that it's over, but pretty much every story ended up in a satisfying way. One a tiny bit heartbreaking, but so believable. (Luke) That's exactly the choice that kid would have made and I didn't really see that one coming. All the other ones I saw coming, but was worried they wouldn't go that way.

Maureen McGowan said...

True Blood won me back this week. (I watched last 2 weeks this weekend.)
Love the new Eric complication/development.

Anonymous said...

Eileen, we did watch the season Finale and it was perfect.... perfect.

Those writers are genius.

Me, I'm watching Tru Blood and planning on getting some seasons on DVD. Right now I have the second season of Fringe cued up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...