Thursday, July 14, 2011

I'm Tweeting... a little bit.

I announced last week that I had at least logged on and got an account. I’m officially @StephDoyleRW. So for now the guilt at not doing what I need to for my publisher has gone away.

And here is what I’m learning – I definitely like twitter more than facebook as a publicity tool. For me facebook is intimate. It’s family and friends. It’s my nieces and nephews. It’s the people I work with. Talking about writing or my opinions on various different things… I don’t know feels odd to me. Like if I had something to say I would just call anyone of those people directly and say it.

Twitter feels different. Like you’re sending your voice out into the vast and infinite universe and if people hear and respond – great. If they don’t then that’s okay too. I know the point is to build followers but I find I like just sending my message out into the world.

I don’t care for it as much as blogging here. Not enough words to work with. You should have seen me try to make that – sign go away. Maybe this will help me improve my sentence structure. Still, it’s been interesting and something that won’t be a burden to do although check back with me in a month.

The trick will NOT be doing it after wine. WINE + TWEET = BAD.

I need that sign hung somewhere over my computer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with everything you said and why I'm starting to treat FB as more of an intimate, social group. twiter is much better for promotion and I feel comfortable with it.

Eileen said...

I think you should rethink your No Drunk Tweeting stance. It could be wildly entertaining. Wait. Never mind. I'm going to do that. Forget all those rules about good tweeting. I'm going to only tweet drunk. I like this.

Maureen McGowan said...

You summed it up well. But I'm with Eileen. I would enjoy your mildly drunk tweets. :) And Eileen's.

I just joined Google+

Yes. Another social network. Gah!!!

So far, it seems like it's similar to FB, but MUCH easier to use and tailor. For example, you can follow anyone you want (like twitter) without them needing to "friend" you. And when you post an update, you can choose to send it only to specific "circles"... So it would allow you to share different things with friends/family than you share with the world at large.

It's still in Beta, but if anyone wants an invite, contact me and I'll hook you up. I haven't been on much, but with some of these things it's good to be there near the start to get your own name registered, etc...

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely with Eileen on this. No tweeting until AFTER the wine...

Eileen said...

We do have a reputation to uphold after all.:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...