Monday, October 10, 2011

I'm HOME!!!!

After six weeks in a camper, six thousand miles up and down and back and forth across New Zealand, five days in Fiji, a lost book, and what had to be one of the worst ten hour flights of all time -- we are home.

It took us about a year to plan this trip, and it seemed to go by so fast every day was quite literally full of adventure and fun and melt downs and pinot noir and rain and gorgeous vistas, hikes and runs and octopus and amazing food and and now, home since tuesday, it feels like it happened a year ago. Maybe to another person. That's the nature of vacations, I guess, they don't linger.

I also love how different this vacation was from what I expected. I actually expected to WORK. Like I was going to sit in a camper and write a few thousand words. Hilarious. I also thought I was going to do a lot of reading. That was pretty much a no, too. Too tired to read, perhaps a bit too drunk. I made up for that in Fiji - The Autumn of Jacob De Zoet - AMAZING BOOK!

So, what I'm saying is that I didn't read and I didn't write for six weeks. This vacation was a like a vacation from who I usually am. I listened to sports radio - with interest. I watched a lot of Rugby. This is not me. After the initial excitement of the New Zealand RWA conference - wonderful conference. Wonderful group of woman, so warm and welcoming - there wasn't even any writing talk. Or movie talk. Or book talk.

But now, I am looking at Thursday (my first day back at the office with Maureen) with serious trepidation. I'm going to be rusty. it's going to be ugly. But I am so glad to be home, so glad to get back to work. I know it's going to be ugly and I can't wait.

4 comments:

Eileen said...

Welcome home!!!!!!!!! We missed you!

I only took a week off from writing and I'm already nervous about digging back in. Although I'm thinking maybe six weeks would leave your mind really clear and ready to focus. Keep us posted.

Stephanie Doyle said...

That sounds so completely awesome. A week in Fiji. Man the just the pictures of that place are enough to make me cry it's so beautiful.

But still we're glad to have you back. (Even though I still live hundreds of miles a way... :))

Maureen McGowan said...

So glad you're back, Molly! We'll tuck in at the office because I WILL finish the first draft of this book this week. (Or at least by early next week.)

Anonymous said...

Welcome home..... Molly, so good to have you back. Hope you were feeling OK on Monday?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...