Tuesday, January 03, 2012

I don't believe in writer's block

I don't. I really don't. I think it's . . .self-indulgent. Yet, I've spent the last two weeks not making any progress on my book.

Oh, there are reasons. Holidays. Kids. Mother. News I didn't like that set me back on my heels a bit. But I've never been this clabbered up for this long. Never.

I tried outlining. I spent quite a few hours looking at my current favorite plot structure craft book. Then I played a bunch of spider solitaire. Let me tell you, it didn't leave me feeling better about myself or my book.

I've now been reduced to just making a list of scenes that need to be written. Usually that gets my juices flowing. I'm still playing solitaire although the juices are starting to trickle.

So I lay it on me people. It's the start of a new year. What are you favorite ways to unstick and unblock yourself? I need info!

9 comments:

Molly O'Keefe said...

eileen - I've been blocked up too. Part of it is the holiday, I think I'm at the stage in my life when I'm just begging to realize what a nightmare the holidays are going to be for the next 15 years...

I'm hoping a quiet house starting thursday will help me out!

Also I know I haven't done enough walking and thinking - all my walking thinking time has been monoploized with holiday garbage...

I hope your trickle turns into a flood!

Stephanie Doyle said...

Me too. And I don't even have a good excuse. I had 3 days to do nothing but write. I planned at least 2 chapters and I barely finished 1.

For me - I think it's because I'm in the middle part of the book where I need something to just push me to the end.

Good luck Eileen!

Maureen McGowan said...

There must be something in the air. I'm just trying to clear my revision notes and line edits and every time I hit a place where I actually need to compose something new, however small, I have no clue.
This must change!
What did Nora say at that conference? Eat the hard!

Eileen said...

It's comforting to know it's not just me. Maybe it's one of those Butt in Chair things.

Maureen McGowan said...

None of us offered you and suggestions. We're bad.

Maybe just try writing one of the scenes? And don't let yourself stop for 15 minutes or 30 minutes or whatever, no matter how bad you think it is.

Sometimes I also just start typing my thoughts: "I have no idea WTF should happen in this scene or what the character wants at this point. She just discovered x but thinking about that is boring so something has to happen... Maybe she could..."

You get the idea.

Usually getting my fingers moving helps my brain get moving too. Usually... But often I just alt tab over to some time wasting pursuit. ;)

Anonymous said...

So hard to get started up again.......

I hope it ends soon Eileen.

Eileen said...

I'm currently doing the unthinkable and starting up a related, but different, project.

Stephanie Doyle said...

ARE YOU INSANE WOMAN!!!!

Just kidding. Sometimes you have to do what you need to do.

Eileen said...

Nope. I think you're right. It feels a little crazy. But aren't those the best days sometimes? Here's hoping . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...