Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Romantic Comedies Again

So this time it's Friends with Benefits. I watched it this weekend while I was folding laundry and Andy was out gallivanting somewhere near the coast. I am grateful for one thing. I did not suggest that the boys watch it with me. It could well have rated as one of the worst movies to watch with your children ever, even if the children are basically 18 and 20. There is a lot of sex in this movie. Oh, sure, there's a lot of flirting and a lot of cuteness, but mainly there's a lot of sex. As a bonus, there's a lot of Justin Timberlake's abs and butt. That boy is so adorable. I wish it didn't make me feel like such a dirty old woman to notice it.

I'm sure you all know the basic plot. Two friends decide to relieve their sexual urges with each other and it's supposed to be a no strings attached situation. Just friends. Of course, it doesn't stay that way. That's the great thing about the sex scenes. When they start their deal, the sex scenes are hysterical. They tell each other exactly what they want and don't want in a way we pretty much never do with lovers because we don't want to ruin the moment or hurt their feelings. They joke around and banter just like they do when they're playing Wii or walking in the park.

Then comes the big moment when the sex totally changes between them because the relationship has changed. I thought it was such a great expression of that. Really well written and well acted, too.

It wasn't a perfect movie. I wasn't really sure why Justin Timberlake finally realized that Mila Kunis was "The One," but that could have been because I was trying to match socks by that point and frankly that can be complicated.

Anybody else seen it? Liked it? Loathed it? Think Justin Timberlake is hot? Think I should be jailed for noticing?

11 comments:

Stephanie Doyle said...

I also liked this movie. And thought Justin really sold me on when things changed for him.

Eileen said...

Ah. Clearly I was matching socks at the big moment. He is very convincing, isn't he?

MJFredrick said...

I adored it--even bought it to rewatch. Liked it better than the Ashton Kutcher one, but that one was cute, too.

Eileen said...

Justin was definitely bringing sexy back. Glad I'm not alone!

Maureen McGowan said...

I LOVED that movie, although at this very moment can't remember exactly why.

I think it was one of those rare hollywood rom coms that was written more like a romance novel. Where the conflict was internal, not external, not based on a "big lie" or "big misunderstanding". (Michael Hague, whom I otherwise really respect, insists all successful Hollywood rom coms are based on a "big lie". Sadly, many are... which is why so many fall flat as romances...)

Maureen McGowan said...

Ha! I actually found a post where I described why I liked this movie. The post is mostly about another movie. But I also mentioned this one.

Maureen McGowan said...

Damn. The link didn't work.

http://drunkwritertalk.blogspot.ca/2011/08/internal-conflict-at-movies.html

Maureen McGowan said...

Try #3

http://drunkwritertalk.blogspot.ca/2011/08/internal-conflict-at-movies.html

Eileen said...

I've GOT to see Crazy Stupid Love. Surely it's going to appear on ON Demand soon, right?

Anonymous said...

Eileen, you will love Crazy Stupid Love. I saw the JT movie, and really liked the chemistry between him and Mila Kunis... and Patricia Clarkson...

Simone St. James said...

Er, Justin Timberlake is 31. Lust away! I do :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...