Friday, July 13, 2012

Savages

So I saw a movie, almost during opening week, perhaps even before Maureen (Maureen, did I?)

And I really enjoyed it. I generally enjoy Oliver Stone's movies, especially when he's not trying to make a point and just trying to enjoy himself, which he clearly was here. A lot of people have compared it to Natural Born Killers and it's not a bad comparison, and Stone clearly has always had a lot of love for his antagonists, and in the case of Natural Born Killers, his protagonists are also the antagonists.

Here Stone clearly loves his protagonists, they are beautifully shot, gorgeous actors and he gives them all the best motives, until they go up against the bad guys, who, except for Salma Hayek, are not gorgeous, but amoral, cold-hearted killers.

And it's fun to watch and it does have Taylor Kitsch, who is seriously beautiful in this movie, but it's too easy. What would have been more interesting would have been to have the main three roles played by the actors who played the villains. Benicio Del Toro is an amazing actor, but not the most gorgeous actor, but leaps off the screen here, as does John Travolta.

The movie would have been much more interesting had Taylor Kitsch and Aaron Johnson played cold-hearted, amoral killers.

Or maybe I'm looking for more reasons to root for the bad guys...

Anyone else seen it? I could see a lot of people being put off the movie by the violence, which was pretty gorey.

1 comment:

Maureen McGowan said...

Oh! I have seen it. :) I was going to blog about it last Wednesday but didn't have my thoughts together yet. I will this week. :)

I liked it too, but also had some issues, but perhaps not the same as yours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...