Friday, June 28, 2013

Movie and Book recommendations

I finally saw Star Trek - Into Darkness and loved it. Tight storytelling, amazing special effects and a pretty great villain all wrapped up in the ongoing and evolving friendship between Spock and Kirk that is the centre piece of that movie series. So much so it completely eclipses any potential romance that may exist in the movie.

Another seriously cute movie is Warm Bodies, if anyone missed it in theatres, rent it on DVD. It's really charming and has a lovely performance from Nicholas Hoult and a romance, which is rarer and rarer on screens these days.

And read a really great, engaging, fast paced YA fantasy. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas is about the land's greatest assassin, a seventeen year old girl recruited from a brutal work camp into a series of deadly challenges to see who will be the king's guard.

It was really engaging, the heroine is great, loved her voice and loved the court politics and the mystery at the heart of the story. If I had a complaint, it might be that the romance wasn't fully developed, but it didn't bother me much. I loved that it wasn't an angsty YA, more story driven and less about the which man should she choose. I'm definitely picking up the next in the series.

But in the meantime, I'm going to start Cecilia Grant's A Woman Entangled. It's my weekend treat and I'm so looking forward to reading it.

Anyone else read Throne of Glass? Any other YA recommendations?


2 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

I've heard great things about Thorne of Glass, but haven't read it yet. It was one of the covers redesigned in that gender swap thing that Maureen Johnson did... Where people showed what covers would look like if the authors' genders were swapped...

Sounds like they were right about that one. Should have had a grittier, stronger cover... Ah, as I type this, I see the publisher has done a cover redesign. Bolder now than it first was. Still a pretty girl, but not as generic.

Maureen McGowan said...

And by Thorne of Glass, of course I mean Throne. I cannot type.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...